Monday, March 22, 2010

Alberta Fashion Week- Day 1

Opening night of Alberta Fashion Week was last night and it was so much fun! I spent most of it trying to get shots with my little point-and-shoot that were actually of the models and not of the photographer in front of me's head! That's why there's quite a few head shots of the models. That's all I could see! Luckily, a photographer was shooting studio-style shots off to the side after the runway shows, so I was able to take a bunch from that.

I can't resist putting up a few pictures of the venue. It used to be a bank and has some pretty lovely details.






























The first show of the night was Lael Osness. This collection absolutely oozed 1940's glamour. From start to finish, this collection was composed of lady-like cuts and great tailoring. I loved the wideleg pants and the absolutely adorable hats. Not to mention the beautiful plaid dress!



































The second show of the night was 442 McAdam, a line of handbags by Sarah Shell. What a theatrical and totally fun show! The inclusion of male models (one starting in the audience, then jumping onto the runway halfway through the show and dancing like a mad man) and the storyline carried through by the accompanying intimates made the show just that, an entertaining show! Not only that, but the bags were lovely too! There were some great crossbody bags that would be wonderful to carry to work and some adorable small chain-handle purses, as well as some stylish murses. The green and black palatte, punctuated with flashes of gold and purple was subtle, but gorgeous. A wonderful show overall! The last picture is of the first two designers; Lael Osness is in the yellow and Sarah Shell is in themulti-coloured skirt.























































































The third and final show of the night was also my favourite. Andrew Majtenyi's prints were absolutely gorgeous and clothing was so wearable and polished. I fell in love with the pink printed dress (the photo's not great, but it's the only one I had). There is a much better picture of it here. The pink and black dresses took my breathe away, they were so gorgeous! Besides pink and black, grey was a contant colour, with black on grey appliques dominating the second half of the show. These are pieces I would definitely purchase. A wonderful collection! Plus I ran into the designer, Andrew, at the coat check of the media reception and he was super nice! Professional shots of the designs are up on the Alberta Fashion Week website.

The pictures I've posted were my favourite outfits of the night. I'm working on putting all the photos onto flikr, but there is a lot of editting (read: cropping to remove other photographer's ears/hair/etc). I will update with the links to all the shots as they become available. Also, I took these pictures myself, so if anyone would like to use them, I'd appreciate being given credit!

18 comments:

Unknown said...

wow great fashion week looks really good , wanna visit there once

the oaks said...

I really liked the setting for the show. Some unique prints and sytles too. Looks like it was a great show. Go you!

Audrey Allure said...

Such a stunning & elaborate venue, and wonderful pictures! :)

heather said...

what a great venue. An old bank is not the first thing that pops in my head, but it worked amazingly well. i really enjoyed looking through all of your photos. I especially liked the little chain link purses. <3

becauseicantgonaked

Terence Sambo said...

Beautiful images, love the grey and black blazer worn by a male model in on the images...

yiqin; said...

The hats are so stylish.

Denisa L said...

love the '40s inspired collection

Hope Chella said...

Thanks for your sweet comment and I'm loving the chandelier here :)

Have a fantastic Tuesday!!
http://hopechella.blogspot.com/

Krysten @ Why Girls Are Weird said...

Very cool, looks like something fun to be apart of!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like quite an experience! The 442 McAdam show in particular seems refreshingly unique - love the hairstyles as well.

ellie said...

Looks like a great time! I loved what they wore to stile the handbags in..as if I'd ever wear that on the street..but waaaay cool.

Looks so fun.

Lisa said...

What an amazing show and locale! I love the hats especially.

Jen said...

I just adore those 1940s hats! Looks like you had a great time.

Reena Rai said...

Great round up! I love Andrew Majtenyi too, his show in London was great

Julia said...

Wow these shows look great! I wish I could go to a fashion week. The venue is really stunning, and adds to the collections.

xoxo
FashionEye

Fashion Insanity said...

Great pictures, wish I could be there!

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

What a gorgeous venue! I love old glamour, I would have adored to see the first collection =)

Kayla said...

So fabulous! love your blog!!

http://senseofstyleiseternal.blogspot.com/